Skip to content
The three main grounds for substantiated complaints:
- Lengthy wait times: 45.9%
- Failure to respect rights: 19.4%
- Financial damage: 17.9%
Variation in the number of substantiated complaints compared with last year’s number:
- Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail:
- Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion:
- Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale:
- Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec:
- Revenu Québec:
Agence du revenu du Québec (Revenu Québec)
- To enable taxpayers to file an objection to an assessment, Revenu Québec had to clarify its policy on the admissibility of testimonial evidence.
- Revenu Québec lacked rigour in its use of alternative audit methods.
Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST)
- Progress was made in terms of access to income replacement indemnities for pregnant operators of intermediate or family-type resources who are prescribed preventive withdrawal.
CNESST - Direction de l’indemnisation des victimes d’actes criminels (DIVAC)
- Sometimes DIVAC interprets rules too narrowly, and, as a result, deprives crime victims of amounts for which they qualify, including those for having crime scenes cleaned.
- Crime victims’ burden of proof, which is increasingly demanding, is often too much for people already grappling with the events they experienced.
- Further to a report by the Québec Ombudsman in 2016, DIVAC made changes to its compensation system. However, the Ministère de la Justice is slow to give DIVAC clear guidelines about the notion of "victim."
CNESST - Labour standards
- The CNESST has committed to ensuring that approximately 70 workers who were deprived of representation by an attorney will receive this service to which they have the right at no cost.
- Reassessment of the protective supervision of people deemed incapacitated must be carried out at the frequency prescribed by law. The Curateur public’s delays go far beyond these timeframes.
Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur
- Many students who want information about their loans and bursaries are not able to reach the Department by phone.
- Concerning educational services in Nunavik, the Department must fully assume its responsibilities vis-a-vis Kativik School Board and give it the support it needs to achieve its mission.
- Despite the recommendations of a special report by the Québec Ombudsman on the handling of complaints within the education system, so far the Department has not presented any action plan to improve the procedure.
Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion
- When the Department announced in a bill that thousands of immigration applications would be destroyed, the Québec Ombudsman recommended that the applications of people already living in Québec be excluded and that their files be processed as priorities.
Ministère des Finances
- In 2018, more than 40,000 last-resort financial assistance recipients did not receive the solidarity tax credit to which they were entitled. In order to obtain the credit, claimants must file a tax return, but people in need are not always able to meet this requirement.
Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale
- The Social Solidarity Program, intended for those whose limitations prevent them from working, is sometimes applied too rigidly. This means that people are unjustly deprived of amounts they need.
Directeur de l’état civil
- The Directeur de l’état civil must do a better job of informing citizens about the real wait times for entering a life event (birth, marriage, civil union, divorce, death) in the register of civil status.
Régie du bâtiment du Québec
- The issuance of licences to contractors must occur within legal timeframes. The Québec Ombudsman will remain attentive to the introduction of the required corrective measures.
- Sometimes Retraite Québec is inflexible in applying the family allowance and supplement for handicapped children programs. This deprives families in precarious situations of the support they need.
Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) – Compensation
- The Québec Ombudsman had to intervene to have the medically recognized injuries of traffic accident victims entered in SAAQ’s system because these injuries had been omitted.
Read more (opens in a new tab)